OccupySF 2011

OccupySF 2011
My ratty ass tent next to the concrete ball. Me in the chair?

Sunday, November 20, 2011

The winds of change are blowin but it won't be a breeze

A bit of history: the 'bridge' as it was known was the Occupy area between 101 Market (the Federal Reserve) and the much larger Justin Herman Plaza, which is crammed to capacity. The bridge was in front of the Bank of America building which apparently was built for the Southern Pacific Railroad, which in 1886 won the case which set the precedent that a corporation can and should be treated the same as an individual person. Legalese is not my thing, but the verdict included this statement:

"The Court does not wish to hear argument on the question whether the provision in the Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution which forbids a state to deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws applies to these corporations. We are all of the opinion that it does."

As I understand it, this when extrapolated, interpreted whatever, means that a corporation has the same rights as an individual. I remember something on Colbert about this but I don't have the time or inclination to research this further. I have to return to camp with rumors about an amassing of riot police in the parking garage of the Embarcadero Hyatt. 101 is gone now, they ripped backpacks off peoples' backs, took their belongings, took their pictures, cited and released them. Dude shivering under the Nic at Nite had no socks. Nic at Nite is the barter table where you can go for a free rolly most of the time.

I am soon to defy the open-flame law, as I was given a propane Coleman cannister, and found a burner apparatus. Hot water, instant Medaglia d'Oro, a rolly from Nic at Nite. Read my homework, Demanding the Impossible available at http://www.4shared.com/document/c44apGZ5/Peter_Marshall_Demanding_the_I.html

Have a good day everyone, and support OCCUPY however you may see fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment