OccupySF 2011

OccupySF 2011
My ratty ass tent next to the concrete ball. Me in the chair?

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Suss the sitch

"An unsecured vacant building can be a hazard to the community, and it is important that as a member of the community one takes the time to check out these buildings to make sure that everything is fine. While some people say that one should contact the police to check out such buildings, I believe that they should not be bothered with such small matters when they have so many important things to worry about."

I concur. While the writer, homesnotjailssf.org advises that doors can sometimes get 'stuck' and to use appropriate tools to free up that bothersome door as well. I carry a Gator socket and wrench, a pair of channel locks, a C-wrench, and a two-in-one screwdriver. One should also verify the integrity of the security by means of a simple window check, and it may also be necessary to assure proper fire escape functioning with a lasso-type pull-down method. I use a 1 1/2" nut tied to climbing rope for these purposes. So as not to disturb any neighbors, the pull-down is usually accompanied at a time when other noises are more prevalent, say when a rush of traffic is passing by or, depending on the neighborhood, when the bars are closing and rowdies are busy being rude, loud and attracting their own attention.

Luckilly, my job is training me this week on fall-protection and rigging. I am now comfortable on a truss 30' in the air and in tieing knots while 'at height'. Bowline sure, trucker's hitch, figure eight and clove. I always wear black, not because I went to art school, but that it is mandatory in my profession. We want to 'blend in,' not be seen. I like how my profession and my hobbies dovetail.

All the best,
Brujo

No comments:

Post a Comment